Friday, February 24, 2006

Nothin'

My daughter tells me that her cousins who are visiting for the weekend "know how to play Settlers". I'm ready for anything.

Meanwhile, here's the top ten "games" over the course of my life, in no particular order:

1. AD&D, 1st edition
A. Magic the Gathering
a. Puerto Rico
i. Cosmic Encounter
I. Soccer
01. Ultimate Flying Disk (Frisbee)
one. Dungeo (Zork's predecessor)
One. Nethack
Alpha. Bridge
Aleph. Settlers of Catan

Wish I could add Go, but I haven't played it enough, yet.

See you on the other side of shabbat.
Yehuda

5 comments:

gnome said...

I like the way you rated your games... But what is Dungeo???

Yehuda Berlinger said...

It was called Dungeo, because the PDP11 could only use 6 letters for the file name, hence Dungeo instead of Dungeon.

It was the game with the "grue", the maze of twisty little passages, all alike, where you started to the east of a house near a mailbox. A text based adventure game.

> Go east

You are on the East side of the house.
There are exits North and South.

> Go north

You are on the north side of the house. There is a window here.
There are exits East and West.

And so on ...


Lots of fun. I never got very far. I was playing this back in the days when a monitor was a printer!! Everything you typed in, and the computer typed out, was printed in hard copy.

Yehuda

gnome said...

Wow...thanks a lot... Perhaps you could write an article about this game... Or maybe scan some print outs?

Anyway thanks Yehuda...

Yehuda Berlinger said...

A good start: http://xyzzy.com/

Yehuda

Anonymous said...

Plugh