Thursday, February 02, 2006

RPG woes

I'm researching the 1e AD&D system to rediscover how it works in preparation for my gaming club members to roll up characters. Gosh, I forgot how weird the rule system was. Every class, every ability, every skill, and ever spell has a different type of roll. And the first level characters are pathetic.

I remember now some of the things we did to fix these things. I have to reimplement some of them. I just can't play straight 1e. Still, it's better than the overpowered 3e system. I really want something in between.

I now peruse my old notes ... I see that I invented, mostly from scratch, at least three different RPG systems, all of which are better than either of these. Somehow I doubt I will be able to convince these guys to try any of them. They're really cool, however.

Ah, well. At least I have an adventure coalescing. And it's going to be a doozy.

Yehuda

3 comments:

Yehuda Berlinger said...

Will do, of course.

Yehuda

gnome said...

Take a look at AD&D 2nd edition... It's my favorite of the 3.5 editions of D&D. You could also try Hackmaster. It's excelent, funny and very much like AD&D.

Yehuda Berlinger said...

Being of limited means, and not knowing how long this RPG kick will last, I think I'm not up for purchasing anything right now.

I'm looking around at the free systems, but I think I will probably end up with 1e (or 2e) just because most people know it and it doesn't have all the problems that I have with 3e.

Of course, anyone who knows me knows that I can't leave anything alone, so the players will still find that nothing is as it seems ...

Yehuda