Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Gaming in the Real World

Gaming runs full face into real world ethics. So says the latest Escapist Magazine. For my own opinions on the subject, you can read my ethics articles (see the sidebar).

But there are many other ways that games and the real world intersect.

My game group this week was on Sunday rather than on Wednesday owing to the Jewish day of fasting and mourning on Wed eve/Thurs morning. My game group has never seen an Arab or Muslim, even though they are invited. Do they know about my group? Would they be nervous to come? Would my gamers be nervous to play with them?

My game collection is small, not simply because I like to play better games and play them repeatedly, but also because games are expensive for me to buy and to ship, and I don't have that much money. And I once lost an entire bag full of magic cards, which contained all of my white cards. Games get lost or broken.

Games take up space in my house. Games are pretty, ugly, bulky, made of paper, or can be played with a deck of cards or 36 beads. Games have to be set up and put away. They lose pieces. Drinks spill on them.

My gaming is limited to the times that I'm not working, spending time with my kids, spending time alone with my wife (sometimes there's gaming in that), or any of many other activities.

People around the world have more important things to do than play games. People around the world have a great need to play games, because they are bored, afraid, or need to connect. I want to go to more game conventions, but again there is that problem of money, and time.

I've given games as gifts for weddings, because they are a good way for newly married couples to spend time together. I get games for my birthday and Hanukkah, if I'm lucky and the people who love me remember.

Games have made me friends and connections around the world. Thanks.

Yehuda

Link: I'm still trying to figure out the rules to this game.

No comments: