Friday, October 05, 2007

R.I.P. Lisa Moore of Funky Winkerbean

Do you know the comic Funky Winkerbean? I never paid it any mind until recently. It's a "warm" humorous comic, not rip-roaring funny.

What brought it to my attention is that the main character, Lisa, just died after a long protracted in-comic bout with breast cancer. She thought she had recovered but it turns out that there had been a mix up in the hospital. I started following when the announcement was made that she had relapsed. And then she chose not to do chemo so as not to prolong her life, and then several months later, died, in yesterday's strip.

Today's comic was even more stunning, as suddenly the other main character, the widow Les, is now sitting on a psychologist's couch reflecting on the death that has occurred ten years earlier. In other words, the entire comic just shifted in an entirely new direction, ten years into the future.

Blew me away. You don't see that in a comics context. Needless to say, I'm now hooked. What the heck is he going to do next?

Yehuda

No comments: