The latest Jerusalem Strategy Game Club session report is up. Games played: Odin's Ravens, Notre Dame, Atlantic Star, Dungeon Twister.
First play for Dungeon Twister. I force everyone to play Atlantic Star again.
1500 and counting
This is my 1500th post. I've still got a copy of El Grande: Decennial in shrink to give away still. Stay tuned.
Want a Job as QA of Games?
Lisa Burns, Sr. Staffing Engineer at Pyramid Screening Technology sent me this position she's trying to fill. Email her or call her at 925.460.9222 if you're interested.
Tell her I sent you and I'll get a finder's fee that will keep me blogging for another half a month!
Position: Director of Operations - Gaming
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Package: Medical, Dental, 401k
The Director, Operations and QA is responsible for leading all aspects of Quality Assurance and IT strategies for Namco titles. Incumbent is responsible for managing up to 100 full-time and temporary employees across multiple game platforms. This person works closely with Executive Staff, Producers, Lead QA Testers, the QA Teams, Sales, Marketing and others groups to provide services and solutions. This person will exhibit outstanding leadership and mentoring capabilities and use those skills to facilitate the career development of employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Manages Quality Assurance; builds and maintains a strong leadership team
· Managers Customer Service; ensures customers are provided solutions in a precise, effective, and efficient manner
· Sets policies, objectives and direction based on company goals and objectives
· Determines staffing needs for all products, and hires, trains and maintains high performance test teams for successful product rollout
· Creates clear career paths for the testing department
· Manages and fosters good relationships with development teams and external groups
· Communicates findings of test teams to executive staff and development teams
· Works closely with development teams to develop, evaluate, implement and improve test processes and procedures
· Ensures services exceed expectations both internally and externally
This position has supervisory responsibilities
· 7 + years experience in the Quality Assurance area, with 5 + years experience managing a game Quality Assurance department
· Excellent knowledge of development and Quality Assurance processes, procedures, and practices
· Proven hiring and performance management skills
· Excellent written and verbal communication, multitasking and analytical problem-solving skills
· Must be able to prioritize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to adapt to changing priorities based on company goals and objectives
· Must have excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills in handling difficult situations with the ability to negotiate and recommend solutions to all levels of management
· Excellent knowledge of current video games and systems
· Expertise in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word) and Bug Tracking Software
· Strong understanding of testing and debugging techniques
Bachelors Degree in related field
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
Top 25 Linux Games
Jimmy Atkinson writes to tell me about his list of top 25 Linux games. It definitely gives Windows a run for the money.
Number three is FreeCiv, by the way, which also won a BGIA last year.
Board Game News tells us that Fantasy Flight Games will be publishing a Battlestar Galactica game. There's an article in the Star Tribune this week about Fantasy Flight Games, too.
Cerise Magazine has an interesting article on whether woman gamers should worry about embracing femininity.
Bernie discusses a competition junkie's complaint about games that let everyone have a chance at winning.
Nebraska TV recommends using board, card, and dice games to help kids learn math.