Sunday, February 01, 2009

What's New in Board and Card Game Blogs?

See my sidebar for the only complete list of active board and card game blogs of general interest (or try this opml file, which may or may not work). Here's what's new since my last post.

Reinstated

A number of blogs that had previously fallen off of my radar are now back on, including:

Illuminating Games - Chris is a fantastic writer, but a sporadic poster.

Infinity Games UK Blog - A UK game store blog of general interest, they started posting again this December but stopped again.

Merric's Musings - Merric is always on my radar, but sometimes he goes a long time without talking about board or card games in favor of role-playing games. That hasn't been the case for the last few months.

The Game Ranch - Ed and Susan report their game plays.

Under the Table Gaming - Game reviews and design notes.

Blogs fall off my radar when they stop posting for 3 months or more, or stop posting about board games, with no indication of any future plans to return.

A few blogs fell off the radar this month (Hardcore Ludography, Tree Weekly Weasel, and others).

New

On to some new blogs. Where do I get my information? I have to hunt around to find new blogs, and then I have to hunt around (sometimes for a long time) to figure out who and where they are. Needless to say, if you want people to read your blog, that is not how you do it.

Beyond Swelter's Kitchen - Game reviews and musings.

Blogster McTavish - Tufty McTavish, UK. Board games, video games, and other media.

Board Game Examiner - Skip Maloney, Wilmington, NC. A fantastic new blog introducing Eurogames from the group up on a high profile site.

Brain's Board Game Blog - Ed and Brain, Ewa Beach, Hawaii. Reports and reviews from the Oahu Board Game Meetup Group.

Brettspiel - Brett J. Gilbert, Cambridge, UK. Board games, pictures, and design notes.

Corvid Games Blog - A game design studio by Jack Bennett, Rougemont, NC. Started a blog which may or may not take off.

Emerald City Gamefest - Weekly open gaming in Seattle, Washington. Many contributors.

Everyone Listens to Reason - Count Zero, Hampshire, UK. Also contributes to the Infinity game blog, mentioned above.

game thought - Nolan Lichti, Indianapolis, IN. Thoughts on games and game design.

Gaming Ground - nijoos, Singapore. Board game survey, strategy, and sessions.

Robot Viking - Ed Grabianowski, NY. By Gawker Media, the people who bring you Kotaku, Lifehacker, Valleywag, Gizmodo, etc... As noted in the comments, Ed is merely associated with io9, but this isn't a Gawker site. A news site for science-fiction and fantasy themed tabletop games, mostly role-playing and CCGs, but also board games.

Up the vacuum thingy - Jeremy, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. Board games and record keeping.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, greatest board game blog resource ever - how am I supposed to get any work done now! :)
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

To clarify, Robot Viking is not a Gawker blog. It is totally independent. It gets cross-posted to io9 sometimes when the content is sci-fi appropriate, because of my association with that site, but I don't get paid by Gawker for anything on Robot Viking.

Steerpike said...

Pleased that you like my blog but I am manifestly not "Tom Scutt of Matlock, Derbyshire, UK."

I'm wondering why you think that I am ? (unless Tom is the user who nabbed the name Steerpike on BGG ? I'd check except it's down for maintenance. Again. On BGG, I am Steerpike.Instance. I had to instantiate my identity due to the popularity of that Mr Peake book)

Feel free to leave comments over at the kitchen. Sometimes I feel unloved.

Yehuda Berlinger said...

Thanks, Anon and Steerpike.

Count Zero said...

Thanks for linking my blog, sometimes I think I am talking to myself but obviously not. ;-)