Sunday, October 19, 2008

R-Eco Record Score

I taught my brother Ben and my Mom how to play R-Eco this afternoon. My mom was somewhat confused when I explained the rules, but she picked it up during the first game.

R-Eco is an excellent little filler game which can be played by people as young as 7 or 8, and plays well 2 to 5 (5 is a bit chaotic, however). There are interesting decisions to make during the game. Still, you can make great decisions and end up with nothing for your planning if you have bad luck. That's about where we're playing at.

In the first game, my mother just rocked the chips, pulling in score after score. She ended with a record score for the game: 30 points, which was 7 points in each color exactly, plus 2 points for not dumping. I had 6, and Ben had 1 (2 points for not dumping, and -1 in one color).

Despite this amazing discrepancy in scores, Ben was willing to give the game another go, which turned out to be a good idea. Mom looked like she was winning again, and she did score the most points in chips. But Ben pulled in a few late points and was the only player not to dump. Mom's score was reduced from 19 to 15 after dumping was counted, and Ben's score was raised from 12 to 16, giving him the victory by one point. I think I had 5.

So, despite my knowing how to play (I think) and having fun with the decisions, I scored pretty poorly. That's just the way it goes.

Ben was considering picking up the game for his family, where the ability to play two-players is an important factor.

No comments: