Thursday, June 03, 2010

Happy Birthday, Yitzchak

Former JSGC gamer Yitzchak turned 40 today, and his lovely wife Cigal threw him a surprise birthday party. Yitchak only stopped coming to my club because he moved to Beit Shemesh and attends their club.

While waiting for him to show up and be surprised, I taught my brother Ben and one of his neighbors how to play Parade. Avri who runs the Beit Shemesh group joined us. Ben won with 4 points, I had 8, Avri 15, and Rachel 19. 19 for a low score isn't too bad; I often end up in the 40s.

Since I was using a Sticheln deck to play, but had never played Sticheln, Avri taught us how to play. We didn't get through an entire game, but I got the gist. Like David and Goliath, the game doesn't necessarily revolve around having higher or lower cards. However, it definitely relies on what position you are in the trick.

Although I only played half a game, I could already see the patterns forming. I'll have to try a few more times to see how deep the game goes.

Last, someone at the party organized a Newlywed Game with five couples. They ranged in length married from a few years to thirty-five years. Unsurprisingly, the couple married 35 years had a harder time remembering what was worn on their first date.

Some of the questions, such as "What does your spouse find most annoying about you?" are bound to lead to some kind of further discussion between the couples later tonight.

No comments: