Tuesday, March 08, 2005

I Sing the Gaming Electric

I got in a game of Tigris and Euphrates the other night. It has been a long time since I played this game. I think that is because I always win when playing against my son, lose when playing against my friend, and the other members of the gaming group don't seem much interested in it.

It is not much of a surprise that the more games you have, the less you play any one of them. Unfortunately, at the last game session, our few players couldn't agree on a single game to play and we had to split into two two-player games. When we only had one game, we could all agree on it.

And we don't have that many games compared to many club. Maybe forty games, with about fifteen in high rotation. Some groups publish games that they will be playing ahead of time. The Trivalley Gamers is going through the letters of the alphabet, one per week, and they are not the first to do that. If I had many more games, I could probably do that.

But maybe I need less games, not more. Maybe we should concentrate on getting more out of the games we have. OK, some games just flop, but others have a depth that still needs to be explored. Like Tigris and Euphrates.

Ah well. Almost any game is ok for me. I wish everyone else felt the same.

Yehuda

1 comment:

Peter said...

Euphrat & Tigris definitely rewards repeated play. The year before last a few of us in Salisbury agreed to play E&T whenever we could for a few months. Every game was different and interesting in a new way. And of course we got much faster, so that we could fit two complete games into a weekday evening. And it was such a pleasure to sit down to a game without any rules explanations.