Saturday, December 13, 2008

Meeting the Jerusalem Chess Club

I met with Alon, the founder of the Jerusalem Chess Club on Thursday night.


The club is only a few years old, and they're already doing quite well, with some 60 club members. Last summer they held a tournament in Jerusalem and got 300 players, the mayor of Jerusalem, and a lot of nice local press. (more information)


Alon is on the left.

As a multi-game gamer, I am not an expert in chess. I've gotten a little better from playing all of my other strategy games, but I still have a tendency to lose my queen within around 20 moves or so. I played two games Thursday evening, and that's what happened in both games. Which is a shame, because, aside from losing my queen, I was actually doing fairly well (I sneakily grabbed a pawn in one of them).

Alon is naturally doing another convention this summer, but was in talks with the municipality about possibly expanding the convention to other games. Plans are very preliminary, purely in the idea stage. That's where I came in.

I was able to work through with him the types of activities and games that could work and what types of organization we would need. I have information about other games in Israel, as well as several contacts.

I have nothing more to say about it, for now. I'll let you know if anything concrete starts to happen. But it may turn out to be something very exciting, and very big.

No comments: