Saturday, October 08, 2005

Weekend Report

My Game Prototype #1 with my daughter a few times.

Nadine has also always complained about the hazards introducing too much luck. I stubbornly stuck with the design as is, because I wanted the game to have just enough uncontrollable elements that kids will be able to play it and not feel it is too brainy.

Then I played the game with some neighbors and hit a problem which hadn't come up in the first 100 playings: one player got all the hazards, which was patently unfair. So I changed the game in a moment of elegance. The game now greatly reduces the hazard problem, and even makes getting a hazard not such a bad thing. And it is only slightly more brainy.

I suspect that this is one element of game design that never really ends. There is always a way to make something a little better, or even just a little different. At the end of the day, the decision can be somewhat arbitrary. You just have to go with it.

No game night last week, owing to Rosh Hashana. This week it will be on Tuesday, owing to Yom Kippur. And next week, no game night again, owing to Sukkot. Then Game Day, and then off to Dallas.

I haven't had a chance to play PR with Rachel lately, either. It's not because of yet another silly PR bashing article complaining that the game rewards deeper thinking and that there are *gasp* better plays and worse plays in the game *horrors*, but that we are also both helping organize a shul, as well as, late at night, going through every episode of Once and Again, a television show that agonizingly portrayed many of our divorce and remarriage experiences.

And I'm higher than a kite listening to the new Lynn Miles CD, Love, Sweet Love.

Yehuda

No comments: