Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Big Old Net

Yesterday I wrote a piece about comparing playing lots of games a few times versus playing less games deeply. Then I posted it.

Later on I thought about it and decided that I sounded like a stick in the mud, that my post was patronizing, and that I had no right to tell people the "right" way to play games.

It used to be that the only thing I had to worry about was email. I know that when you send an email, you have to consider it permanent. I didn't think about that with my blog. I have been treating it like an Etch-a-Sketch. I figure if I post something that I don't like, I can just edit it later.

I realize in retrospect that this doesn't work. Aside from the small chance I might get robotted by a search engine, everything I post to a blog gets RSS'd to a whole bunch of feeds and probably to emails. That means, everything I post is now permanent. Yeeks.

I still have the core of what I wrote in my previous post to think about, and eventually I'll post it again. But ... yeeks!

In the meantime, I wonder how many people saw yesterday's post and shook their heads at me.




While waiting for Ethics and Gaming 3.0 to come out on TGJ (now I'm wondering if it also is too patronizing), I'm thinking about Ethics and Gaming 4.0 . I have a skeleton of an idea, and it will probably be about gaming in general: Gaming as it teaches ethics, and gaming as it is a worthwhile use of your time.

I have what to say about some other topics: producing games (issues regarding copying designs, components, and game themes) and the games marketplace (issues about marketing, buying, selling, and trading), but my first hand experience on some of these issues is rather limited, so I'm not sure if I am qualified to write about them.

Does that about cover all topics regarding games and ethics? Am I missing anything?

Yehuda

No comments: