Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Beatles Trading Cards, etc.

Tonight is Lag BaOmer, a strange holiday where you take all the wood that isn't tied down or attached to a house, as well as some that is, and you pile it dangerously high and too close to someone's apartment building or something flammable like a forest, and then you burn it up. At least, if you are a kid.

Update: Firefighters had to put out 600 fires this year. One firefighter was attacked trying to put out a fire. 123 people treated for smoke inhalation on Mt Meron. And an 8 year old boy and a 20 year old man were both burned. Has this custom gotten out of hand, yet?

Needless to say, there is a lot of smoke writhing through the air this evening. We went for a small visit to share a teensy little bonfire with neighbors.

I mentioned my Big Monopoly Post News to them, and she brought out an old copy of the Maple Leaf edition (here, in the middle of the page). It comes with a moose token. I think I want to take it and use it in my next game of ASL. "Oh yeah? Well, my moose goes and rams the hell out of your Sherman, and then he craps on your infantry for good measure."

We also listened to some Buddy Holly and Sam Cooke tapes, and she showed us her Beatles collectible card collection. I never knew such a thing existed. There were numerous sets which you could get just like sports cards when you bought chewing gum. Here's a picture of one of them.

The front of each card has a cool picture, and the back has a news interview question and one of their trademark quirky answers.

Colin Crowley points out a sculpture of a nude woman made entirely of Scrabble pieces. I'm trying to 'get' the grand meaning from it, but I haven't gotten it, yet. Ah, yes. The article says something about it being on sale for £50,000.

Yehuda

P.S. I track blogs and sites that talk about board games, and this spam site popped up (don't worry, I put a 'rel="nofollow"' in the link). It looks innocent enough, but look closely and then check out some of the links. It is a cleverly disguised Spam blog, almost indistinguishable from a normal blog (which says a lot about normal blogs).

The fancy things here is that the site itself has no ads, only the multiple sites it links to. This looks like the next generation of spam trying to get around Google's filtering mechanisms.

P.P.S. I'm anticipating another spike in traffic since I used the word "nude" in this post. Oh! I did it again!

Technorati tags: , , ,

No comments: