Wednesday, June 13, 2007

When the Pieces Don't All Fit Together

And I so very much wanted to get my summary of the UK Copyright acts done before leaving for the UK, but it doesn't look like I'll have the time. And less than 200 verses to go, too.

So far, my impression is rather negative. Although I like the way the UK created a separate entity for "Design" rather than lumping it between copyright, patent, and trademark (as in the U.S.), UK's copyright laws are very heavy handed and intrusive, with very little rights for the public and an assumption of guilty in all cases.

Blokus

Saarya and I played a game of Blokus in the last evening that I would be seeing him before I leave. Astoundingly, I won. I frankly don't ever expect to win any more abstract games against him. I would love to get him playing Go.

My copy of Blokus came missing a piece, which I am hopefully going to pick up today.

Games Arrived

A few games for the group have arrived: Atlantic Star, Industria, Lost Valley, and Mississippi Queen. I may have a chance to look at them at tonight's game night, but after that the game group will have the opportunity to play them before I do.

Now I'm off to pack to see what I still need to buy.

An Israeli in London

Oh, and I was toying with the idea of taking a big sign that says "I'm an Israeli: ask me questions about Israel" and planting myself somewhere in the middle of London for a day. But my mom thinks I would get stones thrown at me.

Yehuda

3 comments:

Coldfoot said...

Dude, do your research. London is not the West Bank, but radical Muslims have much more than a toe hold in Jolly Old England.

Bad plan.

Adelaide Gamer said...

Not just 'radical muslims' my friend, but also just people with a different point of view and too much attitude. As in Israel, Israel is a politically laden word and "issue" worldwide. Be careful if you do it.

(I'm just picturing what would occur with someone doing this in little old Adelaide, and then translating the hassle factor up a bit because you're talking about London).

Pawnstar said...

Actually most people would probably just ignore you and go about their business (especially in London where nobody can sit still unless it's for coffee or beer); but there's always some clown who wants to be confrontational - that's the British way, I'm afraid.