Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Ignore Invitations from Quechup

If you got an invitation from me to Quechup, ignore it. In fact, I advise you to boycott Quechup altogether.

Unlike other social media sites where, when you sign in, they scan your contacts and ask you which ones you want to invite, Quechup simply invites everyone you ever emailed or from whom you've received an email without asking or even notifying you.

This is so dumb as to be beyond belief. They invited mailing lists, customer support to whom I have contacts, listservers, people I've told to sod off, etc, etc. Whoever designed this system is a moron. And worse than just being a moron, it is making everyone angry, and for good reason.

Some companies deserve the benefit of the doubt for a mistake, but this one doesn't. Quechup belongs in the dustbin of failed startups.

Yehuda

P.S. All mail to me originating from quechup.com is now automatically forwarded to spam@quechup.com .

Update: Quechup decided to get even smarter, and now sends all of the invitations with the email address and reply address of your supposed friend, and removed the word Quechup from the subject line, so that it's harder to automatically spam them back. Hard to believe they aren't doing this on purpose, now.

They also added an "unsubscribe" link to the bottom of their mails, allowing you to opt out of receiving more emails from them. Typical spammer behavior would indicate that this is just one more way of collecting email addresses, but I decided to give it a try, anyway.

8 comments:

gnome said...

Aha! It did seem kinda weird you know... :)

Unknown said...

Yeah, I got the same "service" from StumbleUpon. Very embarrassing, and I dumped the service just because of that.

Dave The Game said...

It may be a coincidence, but I opened the email and went to the site, but did not sign up. This morning I woke up to 200+ spam bouncebacks.

No blame on you, and may be a complete coincidence. I would have signed up too, except I spotted a warning on BoingBoing.

Melissa said...

I got them from a couple of people and signed up to the site. I skipped the "spam my email buddies" option at signup bu not giving a password.

I found the user interface to be almost impossible to navigate, and some of the options to be far too intrusive.

I am in the process of trying to delete my account. A big thumbs-down for Quechup.

Alfred said...

How in blue blazes did I not discover this post until Friday morning? Thanks, Bloglines!

"P.S. All mail to me originating from quechup.com is now automatically forwarded to spam@quechup.com."

Brilliant! I just did the same myself...

Adam said...

It's it obvious that it's a bad idea to give your email password to any site like a social networking site?

Yehuda Berlinger said...

Adam, to an unknown social networking site. To a well known and trusted site, I trust that if my email is ever misused I would hear about it.

Anyway, I have since changed my Gmail password, just in case.

Yehuda

Adam said...

Actually, I don't think I'd give my email password to anyone but my email provider. I can't think of a good exception off-hand. Not even to a "trustworthy" social networking site.