Sunday, February 04, 2007

How Blogger's Labeling Works

It took some many days and hours, but I finally added labels (tags) to my 970 posts (971 including this one). While I may change some of the labels en mass if I discover a better way to organize them, for the moment people who feed this blog are now safe from any more mass updates.

Labeling is not for me, it's for you. I have tried to organize the labels into topics that suit you as the reader. If you don't like the way I've done them, or you want another more general category, or some other more specific ones, shout out.

For what it's worth, the main label is gaming. That encompasses all game posts of any type.

There are also labels for those of you only interested in board games, computer games, online gaming, or war games. Mind you, since many of my posts cover more than one topic, you may still have to skip the irrelevant parts of the post.

I have labels for every board game I've played or commented on on this blog, with a few exceptions. So if you're only interested in the news about chess or puerto rico, feel free to follow the appropriate labels.

Other game labels include gamers (includes people who play, and articles about play), game design, game news, and game industry (includes information about the industry and/or my purchases).

For those of you who follow the non-gaming material, I have labels for philosophy, music, cartoons, humor, movies, personal, israel, judaism, technology, politics, and so on. One more important one is blogging, which covers thoughts on blogging, web sites, and news about this blog. The above labels should cover 99% of the material, I believe, and, of course, there is a lot of overlap between them.

I currently do not have a "non-gaming" label for everything except gaming, but I can add it if you like.

All of these labels are also available as feeds. For instance, the gaming label is available as the gaming feed. Please note the rather strange URL for this feed: "http://jergames.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default/-/gaming" (don't forget the hyphen). If a label has spaces, spaces are represented with a "%20", e.g. "puerto%20rico".


Next up: I will be experimenting with getting labels on the sidebar of the blog (if someone already knows how to do that, please let me know). Done, but now I want to figure out how to limit the list to only display N labels. Done. Google found the solution.

I will then do some redesigning. In process. Note that Blogger does not provide a default template with two sidebars, so I had to create my own. Note also that this sidebar is fully compatible with Blogger's new "sections", so I can drag and drop items between sidebars, etc. Update: I figured it out myself, but here is a good howto.

I will begin a bunch of new ad programs. I especially don't want to annoy anyone with the ad programs, so if they annoy you, say so! I'll work at fixing or replacing them with something better.


Link:

France's government is offering tax credit to companies developing video games, another step in acknowledging video games as potential art forms.

Yehuda

2 comments:

gnome said...

Ahhh lovely new layout and great new labels :) Congrats on your endurance too...

Yehuda Berlinger said...

Thank you, Gnomey.

Yehuda