Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Making Eyes Under the Chuppah

There are two types of weddings: those where the bride and groom constantly glance at each other and smile, and those where the bride and groom pretty much don't look at each other.

As an observer, I always get this feeling when I'm at the ceremony and I watch the couple. I think: a couple making eyes are in love and are going to be happy. The second type are going to be fighting a lot.

I have no statistics on how the marriages that follow each of these two types of ceremonies fare. My own first marriage is a direct contradiction to this theory; we looked at each other lovingly, and we ended up getting divorced. Furthermore, people are different; more nervous, less nervous, more modest, more assertive. They come from longer, shorter, and ultimately different types of relationships before the marriage.

I'm only telling you what I feel. When I see a marriage, I want to see the couple making eyes and smiling. That's what makes it a beautiful ceremony. Nothing else.

---

My last post, The Gamer's Wife, of course parodied The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe (follow the link to Gustave Dore's beautifully illustrated version).

The game BattleLore is currently ranked number 5 on BoardGameGeek. It is a fantasy game based in a historical setting, kind of a hybrid Euro/war game (more war game than Eurogame).

---

The controversy over where Chess was invented is being stirred up again. As if it really matters.

And Freemasons now have their own trivia board game.

Yehuda

1 comment:

Yehuda Berlinger said...

Richie: Thanks for the response.

I didn't mean to equate "Making eyes" with "levity". I think I was trying to pin down that quality that makes me think that one or more of the participants thinks of the wedding as "my" wedding rather than "our" wedding.

Yehuda