Tuesday, April 03, 2007

My Pee Smells Like Matzah

One would think that, given a selection of all meats, milks, fish, eggs, fruits, vegetables, sweets, and fake flour products, that a diet on Passover could be more than simply matzah and salt, matzah lasagna, matzah rolls, matza kugel, matzah pancakes with matzah, .... (insert vikings singing here).

But anyhoo ...

I'm not here to talk about my pee.

The Game Doctor

It's nice to receive a number of emails after Hag about my birthday and my father, as well as a few questions about games. Makes me feel all fuzzy.

Before Hag started, one of the neighbors from the nearby village swung by to borrow a game which they asked that I bring since they knew I would be staying at my brother's. The doctor is in.

And then ...

Hag morning I'm sitting in shul next to a guy I don't know. Never seen him before. Halfway through the prayer services he turns to me and asks - I swear, these were the first words out of his mouth - "What do you usully start with for the first move in Puerto Rico?"

"Oh. Settler/quarry, mostly," I answer.

"Thanks. I've been doing Builder/Small Market."

Wha? How?

He saw me come in with my niece, and figured out that I was the brother with the games.

Games Played

I told a lot of stories. We played a lot of the games at the seder. The Four Sons one went over very well.

In the afternoon we got down to more serious business.

24/7: I brought this ridiculously bulky game because it doesn't get played much at our house, but I thought it might work for my 7 year old niece. She didn't quite get it, but I suspect she could with some more play. We didn't play with scores, because that's not really the point.

It's ok for kids. Sorry, but it's not much of a grown-up game.

Bridge: A few hands with the wife, mom, and brother. I think I declared most of them.

Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers: I didn't play this, but my brother, niece, and sister-in-law did. I'm kind of missing it. One of the few games I traded away that I may need to reaquire.

Settlers of Catan: Played with my brother and niece. I had a reasonable setup, but the dice favored my brother a bit more. My niece and I both had 6 points. My niece also gained from the "2 hex" strategy, in that 2's were rolled more often than 6's (or 9's).

Puerto Rico: Played with my brother, sister-in-law, and Rachel. My sis-in-law let my brother have a few choice trades, which made my situation rather difficult. Despite this, I blocked a number of boats, acquired a complete Factory, and grabbed Guild Hall. In the end, he still won 52 to 50 over me, with Rachel and sis-in-law trailing.

Game News

Gamasutra talks about in-game branding. (Thanks, Duncan)

Talisman Island is a site about all things Talisman.

Game Day tomorrow. Toodles.

Yehuda

2 comments:

Jason said...

The guy randomly asking you about Puerto Rico in shul is surreal and yet, very awesome.

I, unfortunately, never get asked about games by random people.

Yehuda Berlinger said...

Jason: Become an obsessive gaming evangelist and it will happen.

Yehuda