Monday, April 02, 2007

Quick Post About Ancient Egypt and the Jews

I'm stealing some time before Hag on my brother's computer.

He wants to play Amun-Re with me tomorrow. He bought the game to play with his gaming neighbors, but unfortunately let them see the rules before explaining the game to them. As a result, they got the unedited version of the rules which includes the infamous Step 4 (sacrifice).

As a result, they refuse to play the game. Let that be a warning to you.

Meanwhile, my niece and I are making up new cards for the Four Sons activity (one of mine: brunnette, blonde, redhead, gray).

Yehuda

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to commend you for your faithfulness to your religion. Your patience in the BGG thread regarding religious issues and games is commendable. As a father of two young children (who I will play games with someday), I share your concerns.

My biggest challenge has come from immodesty. I cannot in good conscience purchase and enjoy games that feature immodesty, especially since I want to set a good example for my children.

Take Blue Moon City, for example. The artwork is tremendous, but a whole race of cards is of scantily clad Amazon-like women. I've blacked out cards in other games before, but "fixing" all of these would be very difficult.

This is a real disappointment, since BMC would otherwise be a great family game. I often wonder if this poor design decision cost it the SdJ. (From what I've read, it looks much better than Thurn & Taxis.)

Anonymous said...

I'm in Yehuda's game group. As we were preparing to try out Blue Moon City a few weeks ago, I said that I didn't see anything that could be offensive. The game owner pointed out that he had already blacked out all of the relevant cards. So I haven't seen how bad they are, but you would think manufacturers might be aware that this type of art is detrimental to more players than it attracts.
-- Nadine

Yehuda Berlinger said...

Thanks, Tim. It's easy to be patient when you feel that the questions were real.

Games, like other media, are sometimes made only for grown-ups. It's just sad that they necessarily exclude kids with gratuitous themes that are not necessary for the art.

Yehuda

Pawnstar said...

Values are an admirable quality, Yehuda (and Tim, whose stance I can more readily understand than the religious one); it must be a right pain in the neck preparing a game to render it acceptable to your group.