Sunday, August 05, 2007

I Got Burned by a Harry Potter Fan

I asked on my local online mailing list if anyone had a copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows that I could buy. I figured I would read it and then sell it after I read it. The net amount of money spent would be 0.

Then I found out that my son is getting it for a present next week, and two of my friends said I could borrow it after they finished reading it.

While I was waiting, someone sent me the "illegal" online version. I figured that while I was waiting, I may as well read the e-copy.

It was 655 pages long. One thing that struck me as a little strange was the incredible amount of sexual tension throughout the book. Every page or two was flirting, snogging, or banter. I thought, "whoa, she's really upped the minimum age level reader for the last book, huh."

Despite this, the book was well-written in the usual JKR style with excitement, flair, and charm. I wasn't happy with all of her plot decisions, but most things were wrapped up pretty well by the end.

Only, I just found out an hour ago, that the entire thing, all 655 pages, was a fraud. It was an elaborate piece of fan fiction, and had absolutely no relation to the real last book.

I got burned, baby. The funny thing was that it was an incredibly enjoyable read. What a task it must have been to write this!

Now I still get to read the real last book. OK, I was taken, but I feel like I'm getting twice the pleasure.

Yehuda

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm interested in hearing what you think about the real book. That is wild that someone would write a piece of fan fiction like that.

Catherine said...

Hehe, that's hilarious. It's amazing how good some of the fan fiction out there is.

Would you mind forwarding me a copy (or sending me a link)? My email is carnadine at gmail dot com. (I'm still getting over the the real thing and I'm really in the mood for an alternate ending.) :)

Would you like to borrow our copy? We're all done reading it.

Melissa said...

cool.

I'd love to read the "fake" as well, if you can forward it.

Yehuda Berlinger said...

Anyone who wants a copy can email me.

Yehuda