Friday, August 31, 2007

Weekend Coming

I'm happy that Nadine is back in the country. There's at least the potential for shabbat afternoon gaming again. She'll be away the next few shabbats, but we're planning an afternoon of gaming on the long three day Rosh Hashana weekend.

Games Day has been set to Sunday, Sept 30, 2007. If anyone is in or near Jerusalem, you're welcome to come. The point of our game group is to introduce people to new games, so don't feel that you have to know the games first in order to come. Games day is from 10 am to 10 pm and usually gets around 25 people of all levels.

My new blog on corporate blogging, Blogging Without a Wire, is starting up with fits and starts. I just posted a post with over 1,900 web 2.0 jobs. Check it out if you're interested.

d21 Gaming covers one of my favorite topics, gaming and etiquette, in this case the basic amenities and manners that should be around for game night. For more on the topic, see my article Gaming and Ethics 3.0: Game Groups .

While on the subject of ethics and gaming, Bill Radie hit a problem many of us experience while gaming, namely table talk that goes too far.

GameNews Weekly this week discusses board games from Germany and DVD board games. I can't get the article from their site, but Cross-Media Entertainment excerpts some of the article, Mixed Media Board Games.

The Electronic Journal of Combinatorics has many a scholarly article, some of which in every volume are about games. Here's one by John Wastlund from 2005 detailing his solution to the two-player game of single-suit Whist (in PDF format).

User Friendly has about the same thing to say about D&D's new edition 4.0 that I do.

Mancala aka warri aka oware is receiving some academic interest.

And my news of the week: Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) have launched Scrabble fundraising activities in order to raise money for children in Africa who have lost their parents to HIV/AIDS.

Yehuda

2 comments:

Dani In NC said...

I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your link posts. I always find at least one blog or article I've never heard of. Thanks for sharing!

Yehuda Berlinger said...

dani: Thanks!

Yehuda